You’ve probably heard of the benefits of green supplements like Athletic Greens. If not, I’ll give you a brief rundown before I get into this review.
A greens supplement is a supplement that has all the benefits and nutrients of greens and other superfoods packed into it. It’s basically superfoods in a powdered form. Most greens supplements consist of things like barley and wheat grass, beans, fruits and veggies.
People take greens supplements for several reasons. It’s nearly impossible to get your daily dose of fruits and veggies in every day, even if you eat pretty healthy. Greens supplements can help you with that. They aren’t a substitute for real fruits and vegetables, but they can supplement your diet by giving you the nutrition that you need so that you can be at your best.
As someone who runs a fitness blog, it’d be very irresponsible of me not to recommend a greens supplement to you. They have so many benefits. They go beyond just giving you proper nutrition for the day. The right greens supplement can really help you enhance your lifestyle and quality of life.
But there are a lot of these supplements out there. How do you know which one to take?
What is Athletic Greens?
Athletic Greens isn’t just a greens supplement – it’s a whole foods supplement. This means it’s not just made up of food that’s been ground into powder and stuffed into capsules. Don’t get me wrong – it is in powder form. But it’s not in capsule form. Instead it’s just a powder.
Why is it just a powder and not a capsule or a tablet? The heat process used to make tablets and capsules can actually destroy the probiotics and other nutrients your body needs.
Did you know that you probably pee away most of the tablets that you absorb? Yup. If your supplement is in capsule form about 60% or more goes straight down the toilet. Your body absorbs very little of it. So if you’re not getting the results you want/need from your supplement, that’s probably why.
What Does It Taste Like?
This is one area of green superfoods that first timers struggle with because the taste and smell can be a big turn off. Most of the green drinks I have tasted were hard to swallow and taste like grass! Heck I felt like I was a cow eating grass for goodness sakes.
It is a powder form so you can mix it up with water, milk or juice. AG actually has a taste that I could actually tolerate. I personally believe that it is because of the combination of the added fruits, vanilla and stevia added to it. Whatever it is, I didn’t mind it at all. Read more comments on why people like it.
How Does Athletic Greens Work?
There are 75 whole food ingredients in this product. They are freeze dried first, then cold-pressed into a powder. This is how the nutrients stay intact.
You take one tablespoon in a glass of water every day. If you’re really active, like an athlete, a body-builder or just someone who is forever outside hiking and enjoying nature, you should take two – one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
You’re directly absorbing these nutrients. There is no capsule in the way, so it goes straight through your digestive system. That means you get the full impact of all of these healthy ingredients straight away and the added benefit of probiotics that help your digestive system. It doesn’t take long to start working, and many people report seeing an immediate difference within the first few hours of taking it.
But wait! I’m a vegan/on a paleo diet/on a slow-carb diet/diabetic/allergic to milk, nuts, soy, wheat, eggs, and gluten!
You can still take this product. The website says it’s “100% free from all allergens.” Isn’t that great?
Athletic Greens Ingredient Breakdown
There are 4 main areas that we can break this into:
- The obvious superfoods that contain combination of herbs and greens which make up a bulk of the overall ingredients. They picked the best of the best like organic spirulina, lecithin, organic apple powder, wheatgrass, alfalfa powder, barley leaf, broccoli flower powder pineapple fresh fruit concentrate bilberry fresh fruit extract, carrot root and the list just goes on and on. You can see the full list below in the graphic I have provided.
- Best of the Best Herbs And Antioxidants. You would need to eat 10-12 helpings of veggies and fruits. It has a nice ORAC value of 5000 as well so you know it’s awesome!
- Probiotic Supplements that help clear out your digestive system. Yogurt lovers should be familiar with this term. The biggest benefit here is that you will clean out the gut and not allow food sit in there for long periods of time which is just unhealthy. This is what gives you a healthy stool to put it politely. J It’s not a bad thing, it just gets the “crap” out of you in a nice way. Lol Sorry couldn’t help myself.
- Last but not least minerals! Minerals play an important role in maintaining healthy hormone levels to regulating the immune system. So, minerals like zinc, selenium, chromium, vanadium and magnesium which help with supporting protein synthesis to support your muscle growth.
What Do the Ingredients in Athletic Greens Do?
The ingredients are listed on the nutritional label of the package. I’m only going to give you a few facts, since they’d be too numerous to actually list. But here’s a few important things that they do:
- Give you a mighty punch of nutrients from every green food group, ranging from mushrooms to probiotics
- Help you avoid nutrition deficiency from eating the same foods over and over again (Not that this is bad because we’re all guilty of it)
- Helps you get all the nutrients you need in one serving (If you were to take it in pill form, you’d need to take up to 18 pills a day to get the same amount of nutrients)
- Eliminates the need to take several supplements throughout the day (take one and done)
- It’s a probiotic supplement that will help clean out your digestive track which helps keep you healthy and inspire weight loss.
What Benefits and Results Will You Get From Athletic Greens?
Three of the best benefits are better absorption, more energy and better immune system.
- Better absorption means that you’re going to absorb all of the nutrients your body needs. It’s going to go absolutely insane and won’t know how to act. You’re going to get more energy from all of these nutrients, and your immune system is definitely going to get a boost. You’re feeding your body everything it needs to function properly. It’s going to perform its best for you as a reward. This can also lead to weight loss with the proper exercise and diet.
- More energy is key for any athlete or active person. You are providing the jet fuel your body needs to fly fast!
- Lastly, your immune system is like it has an armor suite on once you consistently take this. Anytime you are sick you are not working out or training which means you are falling behind. No athlete wants that period!
Active people tear their body down quickly. You can work hard and play hard with the peace of mind knowing you pumped up your body with high powered multi-vitamin and minerals.
Athletic Greens Testimonials
You know Tim Ferris, author of “The Four Hour Body”? He says that Athletic Greens are his favorite greens supplement. He calls it his insurance policy.
Ryan Sutter, an endurance athlete, says that he takes it in the morning and after every workout. It helps him by giving him more energy throughout the day, helps him to recover quicker after workouts, and gives him a much-needed boost to his immune system.
John Conner, a 56 year old worker at a nuclear power plant says it helps him to get through a grueling workday, and an intense workout every day.
There are dozens of testimonials available on the website. All of them are honest, and none of them have been paid for.
- Can you take AG during pregnancy?
You can but you should check in with your Dr first before you do like anything else.
- Are they expensive?
As anything that is healthy it comes with a price. J If you had to pack in all the vegetables and fruits that athletic greens has, you would spend upwards to $380 dollars per month. AG runs basically $4 a day and if you are like to find a couple for it, it can get even cheaper. So, skip your cup of coffee and junk food for the day and you have it covered. J
- What if I’m currently taking a mult-vitamin?
There is really no need to continue taking it. This is one of the main benefits you are getting by taking AG. You could add a fish oil supplement to your daily routine that would make sense but otherwise this is your new multi-vitamin!
- Is it Gluten Free ? Yes
The thing that really makes Athletic Greens unique is that no other product on the market can compare to it. There are other greens supplements, but not one of them has so many ingredients, let alone such an easy delivery system. You may not want to drink it, but every last testimonial says that it tastes great. In fact, some people said it tastes like chocolate.
Where To Buy Athletic Greens?
If you want more energy, a better immune system, better recovery and just a better body period, get Athletic Greens. Read more about it, confirm everything I just said (even though you know I’d never lie to you) and order it by clicking here for the official site.