Bowflex SelectTech 1090 No Holds Barred Review!
Bowflex SelectTech 1090
- 10 to 90 lb options
- 5lb increment adjustments
- Replaces 17 regular dumbbells
- 17.5″L x 10″ W x 10″H
- Comes with storage case
One of the main reasons you should be looking at this option is that you like the 552 model but you wanted to use more that 52 pounds as you will get up to 90 pounds with this set.
Let’s get started with the review…
What is the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 and Who is it For?
Over the years, home exercise equipment has undergone a drastic transformation. Innovations in technology have allowed manufacturers to change the way we workout. The1090 is a completely radical take on the adjustable dumbbell.
For the last (insert ridiculous amount of years), dumbbells were either cast iron / heavy rubber, or were adjustable, but required an unreliable collar at the end so the weight didn’t fall off mid exercise which it often did. Here is an example of to the right;
Cast iron weights are outstanding, but you’ll require several of them in order to move up and down in weight. Not only is that insanely expensive, but it takes up a TON of space as well.
No one wants to clutter up their living area with unused dumbbells, so manufacturers came up with the bright idea to make them adjustable.
However, in doing so, not only are they far more dangerous (due to the risk of the collars slipping), but the extra plates still take up a significant amount of surface area.
The 1090’s Offer More Settings Than the 552s
Not only can it adjust in seconds, but it doesn’t require fickle collars to keep the plantes on. Plus, it takes up a fraction of the space that cast iron dumbbells and other types of adjustable weights do.
In fact, a single SelectTech 1090 dumbbell can replace up to 17 cast iron dumbbells!
This is perfect for anyone that wants to work out from the comfort of their own home, but don’t have the room (or the absurd budget) for other types of dumbbells.
What are the Key Features ?
- Adjusts in 5 pound increments from 10 lbs up to 90 lbs
- Dimensions (Each) (L x W x H): 17.5 inches by 10 inches by 10 inches
- Can be stored almost anywhere
- Adjusts in seconds with the turn of a dial
- Durable molding on the plates so they can be adjusted smoothly and quietly
- Rubber hand grip prevents slipping
- Minimizes the need for buying additional dumbbells and a rack
Read more on amazon for the discounted prices for the 1090.
Here’s how it works…
In order to add weight, all you have to do is slip it into place.
…and then turn the dial to the desired setting.
And then you’re done…Yes, that’s it. Easy, right?
- Replaces 17 dumbbells
- Minimizes space requirements
- Adjusts up to 90 pounds, for the ultimate strength building workout
- Can be used in an unlimited array of exercises
- The price might be the only thing I would say that is wrong about it. It’s not exactly cheap, although you may be able to get a great bargain online.
- The stand is also a separate purchase, and this stand is simply very difficult to assemble. But you need it because lifting them from the floor may not be good for your lower back.
- Its size (17.5″ x 10″ x 10″) is bigger than most sets, so you may find it awkward for certain exercises, the oval (not cylindrical) handle design is not unanimously liked, and some people even find the grip rough. You may want to wear weight lifting gloves, or even just wrap tape around the handle for a smoother grip.
- If dropped from a significant height, pieces may chip.
With 17 different weight settings ranging from 10 to 90 pounds, you save a lot of space considering that the alternative is to buy 34 separate dumbbells. The wide range of settings allows you to perform a wider range of different and increasingly challenging full-body exercises. You can change the weight quickly with just a turn of the dial, so it’s well-suited for speed circuits.
If you have budgetary concerns, the Bowflex 1090 may not be your perfect pair of dumbbells. You can read more here on adjustable dumbbells for more options to buy. But if the cost is not an issue, then you may find yourself agreeing with the thousands of customers who have nothing but praises for buying this set.
You can shop here on amazon for the best prices on the 1090.
FAQS About The SelectTech 1090
1. Can You Drop the these On the Foor?
“You Definitely do not want to do this like regular dumbbells. You will totally mess up the dials and end up ruining the dumbbell.”
2. What Weight Holder or Stand Does it Come with?
“Ok, it does come with a plastic weight holder which you can sit on the floor or table. This is a special holder because you need to have the dumbbells in there to turn the dial to add weight or decrease weight. The weights actually sit in the holder and the handle is inserted between the plates so you can increase the resistance.” You can read our review on the 552 Model Here.
3. Does it come with a warranty?
“Yes it does There is a 2 year limited warranty on all parts and weight plates; 1 year warranty on labor”
4. What are the weight increments ?
“You can adjust 5lbs at a time and adjust up to 90lbs.”
5. What type of exercises are they used for?
“You can do a lot of exercises with these. Some of the popular are squats, lunges, bench, shrugs and should press to name a few. Honestly is up to you to do what you want with them.”
6. What is the Difference between the 552 vs 1090 model?
“It’s mainly the weight. The 552 goes up to 50lbs where as the 1090 goes up to 90lbs. So, if you need more weight you go with the 1090 model.”
I’m convinced, that Bowflex has an armada of researchers in white lab coats, whose sole occupation is to come up with new, creative ideas for exercise equipment. It’s the ONLY plausible scenario I could come up with to rationalize why they have so many incredible home gym products like the home gym revolution for instance.
Ok guys hopefully this has cleared a lot of questions for you about the 1090. It’s a great dumbbell, great space saver and it will get the job done.
No one likes tripping over cluttered weights that take up much needed space. No one wants to be hesitant while working out because they’re fearful that the weights will fall off and bonk them on the head.
The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 is the perfect solution to all of these problems. Bowflex has been the top manufacture in home fitness since the mid 80’s and have only solidified their hold with the introduction of this gem.
Read the Product Page and Reviews OnAmazon Here.