Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Review
Bowflex SelectTech 1090
Today, we are going to discuss whether or not the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 adjustable dumbbells are as excellent as their other 552 model. I’ll cover the good, the bad, and the ugly (if there is any).
- 10 to 90 lb Weight Range Options
- 5lb increment adjustments
- Replaces 17 regular dumbbells
- 17.5″L x 10″ W x 10″H
- Comes with storage case
One of the main reasons you should be looking at the Bowflex Selecttech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell is that you like the 552 model but you wanted more of a weight range, with this set you will get up to 90 pounds.
No one wants to clutter up their living area with unused dumbbells, so manufacturers came up with the bright idea to make adjustable dumbbells.
However, in doing so, not only are they far more dangerous (due to the risk of the collars slipping), but the extra plates still take up a significant amount of surface area.
Bowflex Selecttech 1090 Offer More Settings Than the 552's
The Selecttech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell not only can it adjust in seconds, but it doesn’t require fickle collars to keep the metal plates on. Plus, it takes up a fraction of the space that cast iron dumbbells and other types of adjustable weights do.
In fact, a single Bowflex SelectTech 1090 adjustable dumbbells can replace up to 17 cast iron dumbbells!
This is perfect for anyone that wants to work out from the comfort of their own home gym, but don’t have the room (or the absurd budget) for other types of dumbbells.
What are the Key Features ?
- Adjusts in 5 pound increments. Weight Range from 10 lbs up to 90 lbs
- Dimensions (Each) (L x W x H): 17.5 inches by 10 inches by 10 inches
- Can be stored almost anywhere
- Adjusts in seconds with the turn of a dial
- Durable molding on the metal plates so they can be adjusted smoothly and quietly
- Rubber hand grip prevents slipping
- Minimizes the need for buying additional dumbbells and a dumbbell stand
- Replaces 17 dumbbells
- Minimizes space requirements
- Adjusts up to 90 pounds with turn of a dial
- Can be used in an unlimited array of exercises
- The price might be the only thing I would say that is wrong about it. It’s not exactly cheap, although you may be able to get a great bargain online.
- The stand is also a separate purchase, and this stand is simply very difficult to assemble. But you need it because lifting them from the floor may not be good for your lower back.
- Its size (17.5" x 10" x 10") is bigger than most sets, so you may find it awkward for certain exercises, the oval (not cylindrical) handle design is not unanimously liked, and some people even find the grip rough. You may want to wear weight lifting gloves, or even just wrap tape around the handle for a smoother grip.
- If dropped from a significant height, pieces may chip.
With 17 different weight settings ranging from 10 to 90 pounds, you save a lot of space considering that the alternative is to buy 34 separate dumbbells. The wide range of settings allows you to perform a wider range of different and increasingly challenging full-body exercises. You can change the weight quickly with just a turn of the dial, so it’s well-suited for speed circuits.
If you have budgetary concerns, the Bowflex Selecttech 1090 may not be your perfect pair of dumbbells. You can read more here on adjustable dumbbells for more options to buy. But if the cost is not an issue, then you may find yourself agreeing with the thousands of customers who have nothing but praises for buying this set.
You can shop here on amazon for the best prices on the 1090.
Here’s how it works…
In order to add weight, all you have to do is slip it into place.
…and then turn the dial to the desired setting.
And then you’re done…Yes, that’s it. Easy, right?
FAQS About The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbells
1. Can You Drop the these On the Foor?
"You Definitely do not want to do this like regular dumbbells. You will totally mess up the dials and end up ruining the dumbbell."
2. What Weight Holder or Stand Does it Come with?
"Ok, it does come with a plastic weight holder which you can sit on the floor or table. This is a special holder because you need to have the dumbbells in there to turn the dial to add or decrease weight plates. The weights actually sit in the holder and the handle is inserted between the weiplates so you can increase the resistance." You can read our review on the 552 Model Here.
3. Does it come with a warranty?
"Yes it does There is a 2 year limited warranty on all parts and weight plates; 1 year warranty on labor"
4. What are the weight increments ?
"You can adjust 5lbs at a time and adjust up to 90lbs."
5. What type of exercises are they used for?
"You can do a lot of exercises with these. Some of the popular are squats, lunges, bench, shrugs and should press to name a few. Honestly is up to you to do what you want with them."
6. What is the Difference between the Bowflex Selecttech 552 vs 1090 model?
"It's mainly the weight range. The 552 goes up to 50lbs where as the 1090 goes up to 90lbs. So, if you need more weight you go with the 1090 model."
I’m convinced, that Bowflex has an armada of researchers in white lab coats, whose sole occupation is to come up with new, creative ideas for exercise equipment. It’s the ONLY plausible scenario I could come up with to rationalize why they have so many incredible home gym products like the home gym revolution for instance.
Ok guys hopefully this has cleared a lot of questions for you about the 1090. It's a great dumbbell, great space saver and it will get the job done.
Bowflex 1090 Summary
No one likes tripping over cluttered weights that take up much needed space. No one wants to be hesitant while working out because they’re fearful that the weights will fall off and bonk them on the head.
The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 adjustable dumbbell is the perfect solution to all of these problems. Bowflex has been the top manufacture in home fitness since the mid 80's and have only solidified their hold with the introduction of this gem.
Read the Product Page and Reviews On Amazon Here.